In Los Angeles, summer means that free outdoor concerts are in full force, beckoning visitors to get outside and enjoy L.A.’s thriving music scene. From blowout shows to Sunday afternoons in the park, the following free events in Los Angeles will keep you tapping your feet. So get out there, enjoy the weather and tune into the music.
92. Farm-fresh summer music at The Original Farmers Market: This annual summer music series combines great food with an eclectic music lineup on Friday nights, May 26 - Sept. 1, 2017.
93. Grand Performances at California Plaza: Taking place in the heart of Downtown L.A., Grand Performances presents an incredible schedule of free performing arts events on weekend nights — music, dance and theater performances that are as diverse as their audience, giving rising stars a chance to shine alongside legendary artists.
94. Ford Theatres JAM Sessions: This interactive series invites participants of all ages and skill levels to sing, dance and play along with professional artists. JAM Sessions at the Ford invites participants of all skill levels to release their inner artist with samba, tap dance, ukulele, Bollywood, son jarocho and much more. These free events are participatory and centered around movement and music. All ages are welcome!
95. Pershing Square Downtown Stage: From July 8 to Aug. 27, 2017, Pershing Square offers eight weeks of free outdoor concerts, movies, and special events. Pershing Square encourages guests to enjoy the summer by visiting the “Square” and all that Downtown L.A. has to offer, including museums, restaurants, and an exciting night life. The concert audience is welcome to bring lawn chairs, or blankets to relax with family and friends, and enjoy free entertainment under the city lights and stars. Easy access and check-in will be located on the corner of 6th and Olive.
96. Jazz at LACMA: A celebration of L.A.’s finest jazz musicians, Jazz at LACMA features the art of jazz as practiced by leading Southern California artists. Celebrating more than twenty years at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the program continues to be one of the museum’s most popular offerings. Jazz at LACMA takes place at 6 p.m. every Friday at the central BP Pavilion, near Chris Burden's iconic Urban Light. Admission is free, there are no reservations for seating. For the full lineup of performers, visit the LACMA website.
97. Twilight Concerts at the Santa Monica Pier: One of L.A.’s favorite summer traditions, the Twilight Concerts series takes place on the landmark Santa Monica Pier every Thursday night from 7-10 p.m. The popular free music series roffers a wide-ranging lineup that showcases a different music genre every week, including reggae (Marcia Griffiths, July 13), rock (Eric Burdon & The Animals, July 20), Americana (Valerie June, Aug. 3), Latin (Mon Laferte, Aug. 10) and indie rock (Warpaint, Aug. 17).
98. Off the 405 at the Getty Center: The Getty Center's annual outdoor summer series, Off the 405 features performances by acclaimed up-and-coming bands, along with DJ sets to open and close the night. All performances take place from 6-9 p.m. in the Museum Courtyard, with a cash bar offering local beer, agua fresca cocktails, and bites. Arrive early to enjoy the Getty Center’s spectacular views and explore the world-class art collection and exhibits.
99. Sunset Concerts a the Skirball: Located in Brentwood, the Skirball Cultural Center presents the 21st season of Sunset Concerts, the museum's annual free summertime concert series. Coinciding with the Skirball's latest exhibition, Paul Simon: Words & Music (on view through Sept. 3, 2017), the new season draws inspiration from the musician's pioneering efforts to bring world music to pop audiences while building bridges across cultures. The lineup of boundary-pushing artists ranges from contemporary American folk musicians to the leading lady of Afro-Cuban jazz, bluesy Caribbean roots pioneers, an Anglo-Nigerian electropop ensemble, and a multigenerational Afro-Venezuelan song, drum, and dance collective.
100. Levitt Pavilion Summer Music Festival: This family-friendly concert series takes place throughout the summer at the Levitt Pavilion in the heart of Pasadena. Kicked off on June 29, the 2017 series features Americana, jazz, World Music, Latin and Children's music.